Tuesday, January 12, 2010

with great lasagna risk...

comes great lasagna reward.

Try this: make lasagna in your Crock Pot.

Not kidding.

Inspired by my mother-in-law's no-fail tip to NOT boil your lasagna noodles (again, not kidding. You do NOT need to buy the special kind. She's been doing this since she took a risk when she was cooking for three boys in diapers.) I just tried it.

And. It. Worked.

So here's what I'd did, and what I would suggest.

At 7 a.m., I gathered:
two small containers low fat ricotta
Italian seasoning
lasagna noodles
two portobella mushroom caps
two jars pasta sauce
one box defrosted spinach
shredded Italian cheese

then Ii:
squeezed all the water out of the spinach
mixed some Italian seasoning with the ricotta
sliced the portabellas
opened the box of noodle and jars of sauce

then I:
poured some sauce on the bottom of the crock
made a single layer of noodles (I broke them to make the fit)
shmeared on about half of the ricotta mixture
added sauce
made a single layer of portabella slices
mixed the spinach with the remaining ricotta and shmeared it on top of the mushrooms
added sauce
made a layer of noodles
poured on the rest of the sauce
sprinkled on some cheese
turned the CrockPot on low

Brian turned it off nearly 10 hours later... and it was DELISH.

Here's what I'm changing next time:
Ummm... how about NOT cooking it for 10 hours? That would probably be better and the noodles would be a little firmer. Try 6-8 hours.
Instead of sprinkling the cheese on top in the morning, I'll just sprinkle it on when I get home and quickly replace the crock lid. That'll melt it just enough.

If you try it, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment