Thursday, July 29, 2010
You know how there's a survival instinct? And people are supposed to have either fight or flight?
Well, today, I hereby propose a third survival instinct -- plan.
When faced with a crisis, especially when I am in charge, I have realized that I remain surprisingly calm.
I haven't a clue where this comes from... because I can panic and freeze like nobody's business. We're talking full on, deer in the headlights, panic.
But if I'm the lone adult or solo, I remain unfazed.
Case in point, yesterday:
It's 90 degrees.
I pull up to the house with Ben.
I can hear the dogs barking.
Brian has left for work.
And I have friends coming over in 45 minutes.
...and I am locked out.
Yep. Locked out of my own house.
Did you notice it's 90 degrees and I have friends coming over? In 45 minutes!
So my brain goes into over drive -- immediately formulating plans A, B, C, D
* call brian
* check the garage, there's water in there. so get a drink for ben.
* check the windows. no, they are all locked b/c your brain went into overdrive last week when you left for Cleveland and you had to check every single one. (moron!)
* don't bend the frames! just pop out the screens b/c you know how to replace them. (the tool is in the junk drawer on the left -- it's the plastic one. you should have paid the extra $0.79 cents for the wooden one, but that's water under the bridge now.)
* the one window by the kitchen table gets steamy -- must have a bad seal, right? try that one.
* get ben, bring him in to the back yard. check for dog poop. careful.
* (wait! why did my hydrangeas change color? too much rain? I need to move those.)
* bubbles! thank goodness i left them on the porch. Here, Ben! Bubbles!
* is that? it is! the window above the kitchen sink is open!
* pull the screen... seriously!? it won't pull out?! ... get a rock, scrape the screen. pull the screen out. (don't worry, you have more screen in the garage by the step. and it's, like $4.44 a roll at Lowe's. don't stress.)
* ok, got the screen out. now.. just... hoist! just hoist!
* plan B... wait, what are we on now, like plan f?
focus, Sy, focus.
* get the chair and just hoist...
* OMG, when will this be over!?!?!
* Ok, right foot in the window and right arm in the window. and... yes ben, mommy's ok. just keep blowing bubble. keep blowing bubbles!
* aaaaand we're in!
* oh wait! i'm in the sink. I'm in the sink!
* Now I'm in! woo hoo!
Ben! We're home!
Phew! That was A LOT! I'm exhausted just reading through it agin.
Now, for plan Q -- give a spare key to the neighbors!
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Saturday, July 24, 2010
You read that right.
Strawberries dipped in ketchup!
At least he ate the strawberries, right?Right.
Friday, July 23, 2010
Once everything is dry (usually overnight -- thus the crappy lighting here. I think I was doing this at, like, 10 p.m.) iron right on top of the dried paint to heat set it. (This is important! It softens the paint a little and make the look totally profesh!)
Then, dress up your toddler:
Or yourself and your hubby!
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Exhibit 2: Caity
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
I haven't run off to Tahiti, but I've been MIA because I've been working on a project nearly every night and it's taking up a TON of my time.
I can't share what it is yet (no, I'm not preggo... I wish, though!) but when I spill the beans, you will totally get it. So, thanks for being patient.
In the mean time, I'm going to be sharing more adventures and more completed projects with fewer tutorials. (Of course if you see something that you're just dying to see a step-by-step of, let me know!)