Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sometimes you just gotta go to bed to..

avoid eating everything in your kitchen.


At least I do.


So that's where I am right now. In my bed, blogging about food instead of eating it. Seriously, I'm not hungry but I LOVE my kitchen. The only problem with that is that there's food everywhere in there (surprising, I know) so I'm removing my (already stuffed) self from the situation.


I will NOT be tempted by the piping hot loaf of banana bread cooling on the stove. But I will tempt you...


Remember that too many nanas post? Well, I got one recipe, so (against my better judgment) I decided to test banana bread recipes. (Seriously, making four loaves of banana bread the week before I get in a bathing suit? Not exactly a great decision.)


The good news is, though that my fav recipe is the Hungry Girl one. (Don't know Hungry Girl? Check her out.) Miraculously, I didn't change much. (Usually, I'm swap happy, but this is so good for you, I controlled myself.) Here's the recipe with my notes.


1 1/4 C whole-wheat flour
1/4 C all-purpose flour (I used all whole-wheat b/c I didn't have AP flour)
3/4 C Splenda granulated (I used Splenda for baking and may decrease this a little next time)
1 1/2 C mashed bananas, about 3
1/2 C egg substitute, like egg beaters (I used egg whites)
1/2 C no-sugar-added applesauce
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (I think I forgot this...maybe, maybe not... hmmm)

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • In large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
  • In small bowl, combine wet ingredients.
  • Add wet to dry.
  • Bake in large loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray for 50 mins or until it passes the toothpick test. (My bread took only 35-40 mins. Don't forget to check on yours!)
  • Makes eight thick slices. (Stats for one slice:Calories: 140, Fat: 0.5, Sodium: 267 mg, Carbs: 31g, Fiber: 3.75g, Sugars: 7g, Protein: 5g)

Yum!

1 comment: