Monday, March 1, 2010

Identity crisis resolved!

My fav joke when I was little was:

A guy walks into a doctors office and says "Doc. I'm not feeling well. I was up every morning and think, 'I'm a wigwam. I'm a tee pee. I'm a wigwam. I'm a tee pee.' What's wrong?" And the doctor says, "Calm down, sir. You're too tense."

Get it? Ok. Lame. Please excuse everything prior to this line.

I had this shirt dress thing. You see, I could never decide what it was. (In fact, one day that I wore it downstairs with tights and boots, Brian looked at me and said that it looked like I forgot to put on pants. I agreed.) Too tent-like for jeans, too short to be a dress. But I LOVE the color, the pockets and the trim... so after a year or so untouched, I decided to chop it.
First, I removed the bottom trim with a seam ripper.


This took FOREVER! Like an entire episode of Bang for Your Buck. Under normal circumstances, I would have cut it off, but I wanted to preserve the trim for something else. (Don't know yet, but I am certain I will need it someday.)

Then I hemmed the bottom with this hemming foot thingy on my machine. This meant reading the horrible directions and looking up a tutorial online. Totally intimidating, but easy(ish) once you get the hang of it. To keep it real and make sure you know I'm no expert, this happened three times:


But, I learned something. And it was worth it. Here's the finished product.

See? Definitely a shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment