Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails...

I always wanted a boy first. Mainly because I always wanted an older brother myself.

I have a very good friend who has an older brother and I just thought that was the coolest, best thing ever. How fun to have a big brother to look after you, translate slang that went over your head and bring over cute boys for you (and your friends) to swoon over?

(I distinctly remember a phone call inviting me to come over and watch her brother and his friends dig a hole for and plant a basketball hoop. Yes, watch. Not help. Just watch. It. Was. Awesome. )

And now, I have him. My perfect little man. Who is a boy through and through.

I have always felt strongly that nature and nurture must work together. But, let me tell you, nature is definitely a, well, force of nature. He loves anything on wheels, any type of ball, using any stick-like device as a bat and of course his "choo choo."

Even as an itty bitty baby, he did boyish stuff. For example, when we showed him Bearsly, his enormous teddy bear for the first time, he tackled it. He ALWAYS wanted to play with real keys and remotes -- not the toy stuff. (I mean, how does a 6-month-old know which is which?!) When Brian took him to home depot and let him out of the cart, he immediately scaled the nearest John Deere and sat squarely in the driver's seat, hands on the wheel. And just last week, he half-sneezed mid-bite of applesauce, spraying it everywhere, which has lead to nearly nightly time-outs as he tries to recreate the spray with any applesauce-like consistency food.

I could go on, but you get it. Ben is all boy.

So what's a crafty mama to do? Everything is ruffles and bows and glitter and glitz. Only so much of which I can modify for myself.

Well, first, I'll be making fabulous things for anyone I know with a little girl. (Seriously, invite me to their birthday parties. I promise adorableness! And all I want in return is the corner piece of the birthday cake... you know, the one with the most frosting.)


And second, I'll be obsessively reading http://www.dana-made-it.com/ and http://www.madebyrae.blogspot.com/. These two crafty ladies already inspire me daily, but this month they're having all boy crafts! Woo hoo!

I am certain I'll be trying some of these out soon!














No comments:

Post a Comment