Friday, November 27, 2009

Craft at your own risk...

These twine balls have been on my to do list for a while. I love their simplicity and shabby chicness... but I do NOT like their ridiculous price tag in stores. And my recent case of "I-could-make-that-itis" meant I was determined to figure it out...

In steps another inspiration: V and Co. This lady is super creative. I'm not so creative, but I can follow step-by-step tutorials. So I did.

Stuff I used:

  • Foam balls
  • Twine (called "jute somethingorother" at Jo Ann's... it's with the jewelry stuff for some reason. I mean who wants a necklace with this scratchy stuff? But I digress...)

Hot glue and hot glue gun

  • Broom and dust pan (more on that later)
Prep:

  • Gather your stuff.
  • Occupy your kid.

  • Plug in your glue gun.
  • Anticipate burning your fingers.

Then:

  • Make a little twisty with the end of the twine. Put a dab of hot glue on the foam ball and stick the twisty end on it. Hold it there and take a deep breaths so you don't swear with your child is in ear shot.


Please ignore chipped nails... I can only do one project per night and nails count as one.

  • Once it cools, put a little bead of glue along the side opposite of your finger. Wrap the twine around, hold it for a second and repeat.

  • Keep gluing and wrapping until you hear a crash.

  • Repeatedly say "danger" and "owie" and "sit" (that last one was for the dogs) trying to keep your loved ones away from the shattered Pyrex dish.
  • Sweep it up with a broom and dust pan.
  • Resume gluing, wrapping and not swearing until the ball is almost completely covered.

  • To end, fill the remaining little circle with hot glue, trim the twine and twist it into the glue dot. Hold it place with something other than your finger.



  • Voila! Fill a centerpiece with your lovely, shabby chic, inexpensive twine balls. (OK, I'm not done with all of them, but you get it. )

What I would do differently:

  • Use bigger balls (he he... bigger balls...ah hem...)
  • Not use foam balls... you could use ANY balls really. So I will be checking the dollar store for a less expensive option. (Not that the foam balls broke the bank.)
  • Make sure there was no glass in the cupboard where Ben Ben was playing... rookie mom mistake, I guess. But honestly, wouldn't you think Pyrex would hold up better? I would. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment