Monday, December 21, 2009

Delish dinner!

Being a mommy, has made the nightly challenge of making dinner harder. Why? Because the moment I walk in the door my little man is begging for food as if he hasn’t been fed for DAYS. And he attaches himself to my leg. Let me tell you, it’s not easy to come up with a recipe on the spot, prepare it and put it on the table a 25 pound child attached to your lower limbs.

So, here’s how it often goes instead:

· walk in the door
· hugs and kisses
· warm up last night’s dinner and give it to Ben
· prepare dinner for Brian and myself
· play with Ben
· bath time
· play/snack/book/Pablo/medicine
· bed time for Ben
· clean up kitchen

So… Ben usually ends up eating “leftovers,” but they are new to him.

And even though I make dinner AFTER (ok, or during) Ben’s been fed, I still have to rely on quick, easy recipes. Here’s my take on a new, fave recipe “Cheater Pot Pie” from AllRecipes.com, a fab Web site that’s full of great, everyday recipes. It tastes so ridiculously decadent you’d never believe it’s good for you.

Cheater Pot Pie
2 chicken breasts
1 bag frozen vegetables, I like the mix of carrots, celery and onions
2 cans 98% fat free cream of broccoli soup
½ C skim milk
1 can biscuits (not Grands*, but any other will do)

Heat a pan on the stove and spray with non-stick.
Cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces. Toss into pan.
Add frozen veggies.
Turn on oven to 350°. Pull out a casserole dish and spray with non-stick.
Stir occasionally until chicken is cooked. Turn off heat.
Stir soups and milk into chicken mixture in the pan. Pour into casserole dish.
Pop open biscuits, and layer on top of mixture in the casserole dish.
Cook for about 20 minutes until biscuits are golden on top.
Eat!

* The Grands are so thick they take FOREVER to cook through. And they stay doughy on the bottom. I’ve actually had the best luck with the Kroger brand.

1 comment: