Monday, December 14, 2009

Arg....

Ok... so blogspot's acting up and preventing me from posting my next crafty tutorial... so here's my cookie baking (or attempt at baking post) and a couple no fail recipes...

Here's why I can't bake cookies: I don't keep butter or shortening in the house, and I hate to use egg yolks. "Wait," you say. "ALL my cookie recipes call for butter and eggs."

Yes. They do. And there's a very important reason for that: they make them taste good. And have a cookie-like texture.

I just can't bring myself to dump (literally) pounds and pounds of fat and cholesterol in the food I'm about to feed my family.

I will, however, happily eat your cookies. Mainly because I have the self control to not eat an entire dozen in proper company. At my own house, though, you aren't watching me stuff my face.

Oh, and I'll happily add fat to a recipe if that fat is in the form of peanut butter. :)

That said.... I LOVE to make chocolate dipped things (pretzels, grahams, raisins, nuts, marshmallows.) You name it. I'll dip it.

Also, I LOVE to make Puppy Chow. Here's a good recipe. Delish!

And these rum balls... Adapted from a Columbus Dispatch recipe ages ago. (Wednesday is my favorite Dispatch day because of the food section. A must read!) They never fail.

Rum Balls
3 1/2 C finely ground light, cinnamon sugar graham crackers (about one sleeve per cup)
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 C powdered sugar, plus extra for rolling
1/3 C light corn syrup
1/3 C rum

Wash your hands.
Combine all ingredients.
Roll into small balls.
Roll in extra powdered sugar.
Note: Your hands will make the "cookie" dough warm and sticky on your palms. Coat your palms with extra sugar and work quickly.

Also note: You don't cook these, so there really is alcohol in them. Read: probably not the best choice for the kiddos.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment