Monday, March 28, 2011

Homemade laundry soap

A good friend of mine and fellow mommy-to-be is on a quest to make more of her household items ... laundry soap, cleaning supplies, deodorant, etc.


She raved about this soap -- and I've heard similar reviews online.


I love this recipe because:
-- there are only three ingredients
-- you can whip up a batch in less time than clipping soap coupons and picking it up at the store
-- it's hypo-allergenic


You'll need:
Fels Naptha Soap
Borax
Washing powder


Everything can be found in the laundry aisle. Trust me, they are there -- just hiding on the very top shelves and towards the ends. The basic formula is:
1 part Fels Naptha : 2 parts Borax : 2 parts washing powder



Grate the Fels Naptha (I used the grater blade on my food processor) and it made 2 cups of grated soap.



Then add 4 cups each of the Borax and washing powder. This is about 10 cups of soap.



Luckily, it all fit in this Ziploc container.Even though it said it held only 9 1/2 cups.




Add 2 tablespoons per load of laundry -- and boost with Oxiclean if you like.


Now, for the real question: how does it work?


Unlucky for us (but lucky for you) Ben was the sickest he's ever been this weekend. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say there was LOTS of laundry. It was so bad, I couldn't stomach rinsing some of the, uh, soiled, sheets. So, I tossed everything in the machine and said a little prayer.


The review: worked like a dream! And smells great!Let me know if you give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment