Thursday, April 22, 2010

Here goes nuttin'

Sorry. I couldn't help myself. ** blushes **

Anyway... raise your hand if you love peanut butter. Now, raise your other hand if you love almond butter. And now, nod if you think almond butter is too expensive.


Me too!


You can put your hands down now. (And stop nodding. Seriously, people will start to worry.)


Well... I've seen the machines at Whole Foods that just grind nuts into butter and I've read that you can make your own peanut butter in a blender for food processor but just filling one or the other up with nuts and turning it on.


But I've been hesitant to try because:
1) nuts are kind of expensive and if it didn't work, I'd be sad and ticked at myself for wasting money
2) I couldn't figure out if it would be economical
3) it seemed too good to be true


But this week, I had all these random nuts left over from various recipes, an eating almond kick and a bag of trail mix, so I decided to just go for it.


I poured them in to my food processor. (Yes, I see the random dried cranberry. That's from the trail mix.)

Turned it on for a few seconds, and this happened.




At this point, I was worried. I never let my food processor run. I mean, NOTHING takes more than two or three pulses to be done. But I also realized the nuts were basically wasted in this state, so I kept going.


And got this: kinda' clumpy.

So, I added a little oil because I think I read that somewhere (maybe? doesn't matter. it worked.) And kept running the food processor 'til I got this:



Delicious multi-nut (and one random dried cranberry) butter! And get this: when I dipped my finger in to taste it, it was warm. And a little gritty. But the warmness made me call it done. (I doubt food processors can just burst into flames, but I wasn't taking any chances.)

No comments:

Post a Comment