Monday, June 28, 2010

Homemade Robots

Real-life conversation:

Me: what should the theme of Ben's birthday party be?
Bri: what do you mean?
Me: you know, like cars or trains or monkeys? but we did monkeys last year and everyone does cars and trains. so we need, like, a theme. something unique.
Bri: why?
Me: for the invite and the cake and decorations?!
Bri: what about, "I'm turning two?"

If you are a mom, or person who loves parties, you're also rolling your eyes right now.

So... when Ben shouted "Robot!" out of the blue one day, I went with it. (It sounded more like "wo-bot!" which, of course made it even cuter.)

I scoured the internet for robot cakes, but didn't find one I liked, so I decided to make little robots to decorate the cake with.

Here's how to make your very own edible, robot army.

Supplies you'll need:

  • Big marshmallows
  • Brownie bites (I made my own by mixing up a box brownie mix and filling mini muffin tins about a third of the way full.)
  • Skewers
  • Decorations (mini M&Ms, twizzlers, pretzel sticks, etc.)
  • Chocolate for melting (don't buy the store brand like I did... name brands melts WAY better)

First, make little robot bodies:



Try to envision how to make little robot apendages with your decorations.







Melt your chocolate (I needed an entire bag of chips... and I used the microwave. Just 30 seconds, stir, 30 more seconds, repeat until melty.)




Dip and decorate.



Repeat.


Cool on lined baking sheet.

And eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment